For more than 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific fieldwork while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Our staff genuinely believe in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another – and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting-edge hands-on field science.
The Program Manager (PM) role is key to the successful delivery of the Earthwatch mission. At Earthwatch, PMs are responsible for managing partner relationships and delivering programs to time, budget, global mission priorities and protocols and a high standard of quality. PMs hold responsibility for the management and delivery of a portfolio of field research projects, grant programs, or a combination of both.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Note: Specific tasks, projects and programs are distributed across Program Managers as needed for organizational effectiveness.
For a portfolio of programs funded by individuals, foundations, corporations or other partners:
• Provide excellent relationship management with funding partners, in collaboration with the Development team
• Manage all aspects of funded program delivery to a high standard, including:
o Establishing clear program goals, objectives, deliverables, and delivery timeline
o Agreeing and managing appropriate partner communication and reporting processes
o Creating and managing grant budgets; approving and tracking all associated expenses
o Supporting the expansion of programs to other audiences including: teachers, students, scientists, NGOs, universities, corporations and foundations
o Overseeing successful learning programs for students, teachers and corporate audiences.
o Delivering in-field programs, as required and depending on experience.
• Work closely with the Development team on the creation and renewal of funded programs, including:
o Supporting the writing of grant proposals
o Seeking and applying for alternate funding for existing programs
o Seeking ways to align mission and funder priorities for mutual benefit
o Providing feedback on new program ideas, particularly in the areas of program cost, resource utilization, and interaction with existing programs
Research Project Management
For a portfolio of participatory science projects, including a community-based air quality monitoring project:
• Serve as the primary liaison between Earthwatch and the project Scientists, acting as the ‘go to’ contact point and advocate for each project
• Manage all aspects of project delivery to a high standard, including:
o Finances – program/project budgets, scientist and partner payments
o Health and safety – risk assessments, emergency response plans, etc.
o Contract negotiation, including setting annual team dates and budgets
o Site visits, as required and depending on experience
o Training project and Earthwatch staff on Earthwatch protocols as needed
• Create and annually revise detailed expedition Briefings to disclose risk, describe research and prepare volunteers for fielding
• Develop, renew and retire projects in accordance with Earthwatch protocols and industry standards
• Provide internal evaluation and feedback on each project
• Work closely with the Research, Communications and sales teams to support each project’s success
• Serve as an active member of the International Incident Management Team
• Promote a culture of safety internally and externally
• Serve as 24-hour on call Duty Officer 3-6 weeks per year
• Coordinate incident management associated with projects managed; participate in incident management for other programs as needed.
As needed and depending on experience, PMs may manage direct reports, such as Program Coordinator(s), consultants, interns or volunteers. Line management responsibilities includes recruiting, retaining and developing talent; setting clear objectives and giving constructive feedback; engaging and inspiring them around Earthwatch’s mission and business goals.
• Bachelors’ degree (science, environmental studies, international business, non-profit management or related field preferred) or equivalent life experience
• 3-5 years of experience in NGO sector, including working globally across regions
• Experience in Corporate Social Responsibility and/or administration of community-based programming
• Proven track record in managing complex projects and programs
• Ability to communicate with and develop good relationships at all levels, presenting information in varying degrees of technicality/ detail as the audience dictates
• Excellent written communication skills in English, and ability to communicate effectively with remote audiences (PIs, partners, and colleagues)
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a culturally diverse, multidisciplinary team
• Ability to find creative ideas and solutions which overcome obstacles and add value
• Ability to meet deadlines, set priorities and work in fast-pace environment
• Commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values
• International and intercultural experience such as studying, living, or working abroad
• Fluency/High level of proficiency in another language (particularly Spanish or French) a plus
• 401k retirement plan with 4% employer match
• Health insurance with health reimbursement, dental insurance and flexible spending accounts
• 100% employer paid life, long term disability and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, employee assistance program, and short-term disability insurance
• Generous paid time off, paid holiday, and parental leave
• Professional development opportunities, including professional development grant program, mentor program, internal and external training, conferences and more
• Fun employee engagement/appreciation events
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via: https://earthwatch.org/about/jobs-internships/program-manager
No phone calls please. Due to limited resources, we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.
Earthwatch is an equal opportunity employer. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and change-making. Employment opportunities are provided to all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national or regional origin, age, disability status, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
Background checks may be required for some staff, including but not limited to roles working with minors and/or with human resource, finance, or information technology responsibilities.
Physical office closure & COVID vaccinations: Due to COVID-19, Earthwatch’s physical office is closed and most employees are working remotely until further notice. Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for: employees to enter the physical office, conduct travel for Earthwatch, and/or meet in person with Earthwatch employees or other constituents.