Forest Friends Preschool at Wright-Locke Farm Conservancy, a licensed preschool, is seeking an experienced early childhood, outdoor educator who will, along with the Co-Teacher, facilitate our partial-day, nature-immersive preschool program, for the 2022-23 school year.
Principal Responsibilities include:
Alongside the Co-Teacher, teach the 4-hour Forest Friends program 2 mornings per week (Mondays and Wednesdays) during the school year.
Work collaboratively with Co-Teacher in preparation and planning as needed.
Maintain, along with other Forest Friends staff, a safe and successful, thriving, nature-based preschool that aligns with the WLF mission and goals.
Assist with the management of daily operations of the preschool.
Attend weekly staff meetings.
Create and maintain a healthy, safe, and positive environment for children.
Communicate with parents about their child’s development and daily experiences, including conducting parent/teacher conferences at least twice a year.
Foster an inclusive, collaborative, and supportive community with families, Forest Friends staff, and WLF staff.
Assist with development and implementation of daily practices and routines, as well as seasonal, placed-based, emergent curriculum, that promotes early childhood development and deep nature connection.
Observe and document children’s progress in the areas of social, emotional, physical, creative, and cognitive skills.
Assist with the management of any interns and volunteers.
Assist the Co-Teacher in ensuring adherence to any policies and regulations to maintain good standing with the town and the state.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
● Experienced educator in a preschool setting
● Passionate about, and effective at, connecting with young children
● Strong communication skills with parents, staff and children
● Working knowledge of nature, science, and New England ecology
● Experienced in outdoor skills and activities, with an ability to be outside in all weather
● Ability and desire to help create excellent place-based, child-centered, emergent curriculum
● Good organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and roles patiently and professionally, and adapt to changing situations
● Proficient with Google Drive Suite and/or MS Office Suite (Word, Excel).
● Experience working with young children and families in a preschool setting
● Experience spending extended time in the outdoors in varying weather conditions
● Preschool 1 or Lead Teacher certified (or working towards certification) through Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care
● CPR/First Aid certified or willingness to obtain
● Willingness to work with Director on maintaining professional MA EEC requirements
● Suitable Background Check (BRC) through Commonwealth of MA.
Physical Demands: This position requires the ability to work outside in various weather conditions. The employee is frequently required to walk or hike on steep or uneven terrain and stand and sit for extended periods of time. This employee will occasionally climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 lbs. and may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
Anti-Discrimination Statement: Wright-Locke Farm Conservancy is dedicated to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment to all, regardless of and not limited to race, religion, color, age, national origin, military service, physical appearance, gender identity or gender expression, sex or sexual orientation, or physical or mental ability or disability. We do not tolerate harassment in any form. Please join us in respecting everyone.
How to apply: Position open until filled (ideally by July 1, 2022). Please send a resume, cover letter, statement of education philosophy, and 3 references to Sarah Doyle, Director of Education and Forest Friends to email@example.com.