For more than 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific fieldwork while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Our team genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another – and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting-edge hands-on field science.
Earthwatch is a remote first company with 80% of staff working fully remote.
Earthwatch is seeking parental leave cover for a period of 6 months, beginning mid-November 2022 and lasting through mid-May 2023 for the Environmental Education Manager position. This position will design, deliver, and evaluate experiential learning and leadership programs which engage Earthwatch target audiences including corporate employees, community members, high school students, and teachers. These programs will inspire participants to engage with relevant sustainability/environmental issues, leading to behavior change at individual, organizational, or community levels.
The ideal candidate will combine experience in learning design with considerable knowledge of key sustainability issues including climate change, urbanization, air quality, biodiversity, and ecosystem services, as well as the social and economic drivers of these issues and their impacts. They will have an excellent understanding of frameworks for change, e.g., Sustainable Development Goals, circular economy, and facilitated experiential learning. They will be able to communicate complex information in pragmatic and engaging ways that ultimately empower people to take action and deliver change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• To design and deliver a range of consistent, high quality experiential learning curriculum that pairs with Earthwatch’s participatory science-based programs
• Deliver multiple sessions of a four-part virtual course on climate change to large groups of corporate employees and several one-day virtual and in-person programs across the six-month period, but with several scheduled during Earth month (April).
• Develop supporting materials needed to implement curriculum (facilitator notes, PowerPoint slides, educational webpages, handouts, etc.)
• Understand target audience needs (ex. corporate employees, historically marginalized community members, high school students underrepresented in STEM careers, or teachers) and incorporate these needs into the learning design. Utilize a lens of equity and accessibility in the design of learning curriculum.
• Work closely with Program Managers to ensure continuous improvement of the learning curriculum in support of each program’s objectives and the Earthwatch mission.
• Train other Earthwatch staff to deliver learning sessions as required by each specific grant.
• Measure impact on program participants
• Work with Development team to develop pitch ideas and demonstrate program impacts to generate funding for the programs.
• To maintain a cohort of Earthwatch staff who are trained in the principles of Earthwatch learning and can be called upon to deliver learning when that capacity is needed.
• Line Management of Impact Manager
• Travel will be required for this position for delivering learning sessions for 1-day or evening events in urban locations. It may be required for up to 1-week periods at residential field-based locations (In accordance with Earthwatch’s COVID-19 safety protocols.)
• Help to build excellence in Earthwatch’s capacity to develop and deliver high impact, integrated research & learning programs.
• Develop one’s own and team’s capability, bringing in new thinking on innovative approaches to transformational learning and sustainability.
• Contribute to global learning community of practice by supporting the community to learn & grow professionally.
• Support Program Delivery team on other activities as assigned.
• Excellent understanding of environmental and sustainability agendas, including climate change, urbanization, air quality, biodiversity, ecosystem services, Sustainable Development Goals, etc.
• Passion for the natural world and an ability to inspire this in others.
• Excellent emotional intelligence, cultural sensitivity, and interpersonal skills.
• 3-5 years of experience designing inspiring learning content, presentations, workshops, and outdoor sessions for adult and teen learners.
• 3- 5 years of experience facilitating immersive learning in-person and online, and an ability to explain complex information in accessible and inspiring ways for diverse audiences.
• A knowledge of group dynamics, learning styles, and facilitation techniques.
• Strong understanding of and experience working with learner-centered principles, models and practices for organizational and personal behavior change.
• Experience living or working with communities that are underrepresented in the outdoors, science, and the environmental industries.
• Willingness to work irregular and long hours in the field – requiring flexibility, organizational skills, collaboration and adaptability.
• Ability to travel roughly 1-3 weeks in a 6-month period, through a combination of day trips which include intermittent nights and weekends, and possibly 1-week overnight trips.
• Access to a personal vehicle and valid driver’s license
• Spanish or additional language proficiency is a plus
• Commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Earthwatch, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.