This year Friendly House will potentially be partnering with a local farm to provide our campers agricultural education and are searching for staff who are passionate about the outdoors and working with kids. On the off days when campers are at Friendly House, we will need staff to lead kids in developing our own on site garden.
Position Description: Summer Counselor
Basic Function: Provides leadership, develops and implements a safe and age appropriate summer camp for school aged youth under close supervision of the Summer Camp Director.
Employment Status: Seasonal (June-August)
Reports to: Camp Director and Director of Youth Programs
• Plans and implements Summer Camp curriculum, helping school aged children improve literacy competencies, values and physical fitness in an activity-based environment, under close supervision.
• Engage in careful preparation for each group activity including planning and providing needed equipment, safe environment, supplies, and leadership in implementing activities.
• Provide a positive role model for children by adhering to the agency ethics and boundaries standards, philosophy on behavior management, and maintaining healthy, respectful relationships.
• Plan and create innovative age-appropriate program activities and develop lesson plans.
• Maintain attendance and complete incident reporting.
• Supervise volunteers end CITs as needed.
• Observes functioning of participants and reports progress and change to supervisors.
• Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of program participants by providing close supervision of all activities
• Actively participate in all training required by Friendly House
• Work as a member of a professional team that provides a positive growth-promoting environment for all children
• Keep facility clean and conduct safety sweeps before beginning activities. Always know the whereabouts of all campers and the number of children in your care.
• Understand and communicate Friendly House’s philosophy and the goals of the Gym & Swim Program to the participants and parents.
• Meets at designated times with assigned supervisor to review progress
• Maintains assigned work schedule that is in line with camp days and hours.
• Reports to work consistently, reliably, and at the scheduled times.
• Experience with school aged children preferred.
• Positive character references.