Visitor Services/Teacher Naturalist I
The Teacher Naturalist commits the majority of her/his time to teaching introductory level programs to youth, families, and adults in accordance with Mass Audubon’s educational philosophy, goals, standards, and practices. Other time maybe used to assist with the coordination, preparation, and marketing of these educational programs and special events. This position is a 32 hours, Saturday through Tuesday.
- Prepare and teach educational programs to youth, families, and adults.
- Assist in the development and delivery of educational activities related to festivals, events, and camps.
- Assist in the development of educational activities for camp and group programs.
- Maintain updated educational supplies, curricula, instructional materials, and resources.
- Assist in the evaluation of programs and other related activities.
- Maintain the safety of all participants as a priority.
- Assist in the planning, scheduling, and marketing of educational programs.
- Maintain accurate records of programs and program participants including camp registration.
- Marketing, Public/Community Relations: Participate in planning, writing, and preparation of program catalogs, site-based informational brochures, and education related publications, including e-communications.
- Orient visitors, members, and community in Mass Audubon’s mission, programs, and stewardship.
Bachelor’s degree in education, biological, earth science, environmental studies, or equivalent, and a minimum of 1 year of experience in conducting educational programs or equivalent; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
Requires First Aid and CPR certification upon hire.
Requires successful completion of a CORI and SORI.
Compensation and Benefits
Hourly rate: $16.83 to $17.79/per hour
The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to talk, hear, sit, stand, and walk. Occasionally the employee is required to bend/stoop, crawl/kneel, carry, reach, push/pull, walk over uneven terrain, and lift up to 40 lbs. Employee is required to apply limited manual dexterity in combination with eye-hand coordination, such as basic keyboarding, basic hand tools and instruments, filing, operating office equipment, and operating a motor vehicle.
Employee must have good vision to read documents for general understanding and for analytical purposes. Occasionally the employee is required to review non-written materials for general observation purposes and for analytical, detailed purposes. Occasionally it is necessary for the employee to differentiate between colors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Routinely work is performed within a typical office setting. Routinely work is performed outdoors with exposure to weather/temperature extremes and extended periods of traversing uneven terrain. Work may require performing responsibilities on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Tools and Equipment Used
The employee is required to use a personal computer and general office equipment (e.g., telephone, calculator, adding machine, copier, facsimile, etc.). May require the use of two-way radios for communication with field staff. Requires a valid driver’s license.
Approximate work load distribution
50% in planning and implementing programs 50% in visitor services and administration which includes public/community relations
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to Erin Kelly with the subject line Visitor Services/TN