Holly Hill Farm is an organic vegetable, flower and herb farm in Cohasset MA. The Friends of Holly Hill Farm is the nonprofit that manages the farm and the educational organization that uses the farm, its animals, historic buildings and surrounding 130 acres of woods as its outdoor classroom.
The Friends of Holly Hill Farm is looking for 2 enthusiastic summer teaching interns to assist with summer camp programs. This includes farm and barnyard chores, nature exploration beyond the barnyard area, and curriculum development. The goal of this internship program is for the intern to learn about teaching organic farming and sustainable agricultural practices to children ages 3-18 who attend summer camp programs on the farm. Interns will have ample opportunities to learn all aspects of organic farming as well as developmentally appropriate ways to teach principles to the children. Programs also involve teaching beyond the barnyard in areas such as woodland trails, salt marshes, and open fields. Interns will work closely with lead teachers to gain insight and knowledge about teaching children outdoors on a working farm. The internship will culminate in both the development of a farm-based lesson plan and leading a group of children for five days, with other teachers.
The internship requires an 8 week commitment of approximately 25 hours per week. Internship positions must be completed between June 11th and August 24th, 2018. Housing is not available although Holly Hill Farm is 2 miles from the Greenbush Commuter Rail Cohasset station.
- Working under the direction of the Education Director and lead farm teachers, intern will assist with camp programs for ages 3-18 in a variety of educational settings and activities including gardening, exploring open fields, woodlands and salt marshes. Training will be provided for each of these settings.
- Interns must keep a journal of observations, experiences and reflections.
- Interns may also be asked to assist with adult and family workshops and work with volunteer groups who visit the farm.
- Interns may occasionally assist the Farm Manager with farm work and farm animal care.
- Interns will collaborate with Education Director to develop new curricula.
- As the summer progresses, interns will be asked to lead and teach summer camp programs for ages 3-18.
- Applicants must be high school graduates with a responsible and positive attitude.
- Experience working with children ages 3+ in group settings at a school, camp or other setting.
- Must be physically capable of strenuous labor necessary to do farm and barnyard chores.
- Farming or gardening experience as well as an appreciation for nature and teaching outdoors.
- Comfortable working with farm animals (chickens, horses, goats, rabbits).
- Applicants must have a flexible approach to teaching and collaborating under changeable working conditions including heat and bad weather.
- Verbal and written communications skills are a must.
- Applicant must have reliable transportation as the position requires on-time arrival habits.
- Applicant must pass CORI and SORI checks.
Upon completion of the program, each intern will receive a thoughtful, detailed letter of reference for their completed internship. There is the possibility of a weekly stipend pending successful grant funding.
If you are interested in applying for this internship, please send the completed form (below), plus names and contact information for two references, and a copy of your resume by March 30th to:
Jon Belber, Education Director
Friends of Holly Hill Farm
236 Jerusalem Road
Cohasset, MA 02025
Telephone: (781) 383-6565
Farm Based Education Intern Application
Phone: ________________________________ Cell: __________________________
After reading the attached job description, please complete this application and mail it to Jon Belber, or complete in an email to: email@example.com, by March 27, 2015. I will respond to you upon receipt of your application. I will then contact you regarding a possible interview.
Please briefly answer the following questions.
1. Why are you interested in teaching?
2. What appeals to you about organic farming and sustainable agricultural practices?
3. What, if any, teaching experience stands out as meaningful to you?
4. What are the benefits of collaboration and learning with hands-on experiences?
5. What is a memorable moment from school, K-college, that really sticks with you?
6. What is your favorite food and where do you purchase it?
Please include the names of two references who are not relatives and their contact information, as well as a copy of your resume. I look forward to hearing of your interest in our Farm Based Education Internship Program.
Friends of Holly Hill Farm
236 Jerusalem Rd.
Cohasset, MA 02025