Part-time Education Coordinator
Land’s Sake seeks an Education Coordinator with a flexible schedule. The person in this position must be able to work from 10 to 35 hours per week from November through March, and full-time (40 hours per week) from April through October. Working closely with the Education Manager, the Education Coordinator will be responsible for teaching farm-based education programs for schools, after-school programs, events, sugaring tours, family programs, and summer programs. The coordinator will lead outreach programs and assisting with program development and marketing.
The coordinator will also act as the Green Power Leader during the summer. The Green Power Leader is in charge of up to 14 middle school youth for week-long, full day programs. This program is a local food immersion program and includes time spent working on the farm, field trips to local food organizations, teaching youth about the farm, and cooking a meal made with local ingredients. The coordinator will set and design the Green Power schedule and curriculum as well as manage program logistics.
The Education Coordinator will work on all components of Land’s Sake’s educational programming with a flexible schedule depending on the tasks required at any given time. Successful candidates will be highly motivated, organized, great with teaching a large range of ages, and a team player. Previous farm or professional garden experience is a must as well as comfort working around a variety of animals including chickens, rabbits, sheep, and goats. Must be comfortable working outdoors in all kinds of weather. Other helpful skills include experience working with InDesign, carpentry skills, artistic ability, etc.
● Coordinate program related logistics, specifically with adjunct educators, community partners/organizations and other departments of Land’s Sake staff
● Implement mission-based curriculum of connecting people to the land
● Maintain responsibility for the physical and emotional safety and wellness of the Green Power youth
● Manage behavior of Green Power youth
● Supervise and direct Green Power Assistant Leader
● Communicate with parents as needed
● Write articles for the newsletter, blog posts, or social media updates as needed
● Gather weekly feedback from participants and parents
● Assist with management of the Junior Farmer Field and Children’s Garden
● Assist with the management of a variety of livestock
● Assist with overall development of the Education Branch and Land’s Sake programs
● Lead field trips, after school programs, volunteering days, and farm tours for all ages
● Coordinate and lead outreach efforts
● Assist with other non-education related tasks as needed
● College degree in horticulture, farming, environmental science, environmental education, etc required or related field required.
● Teaching and/or youth leadership experience in a school or non-traditional setting with proven ability around youth safety, group management and discipline
● Experience in a leadership role at a camp, after school program, or other youth program
● At least one full season’s experience of farm work or experience in garden planning/management
● Experience with management of a variety of livestock
● The ability to multi-task and work independently
● Respectful, clear and patient interpersonal communication skill set that allows for collaborative work across departments
● Strong written communication skills
● Professional character that is consistent, capable, self-directed, well organized, flexible, personable, and is able to maintain composure in a changing environment
● Comfortable with public speaking and networking
● Access to a car and valid driver’s license
● Must be able to pass CORI check
● Current First Aid and CPR certification
● Basic computer and office skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc
● Knowledge of second language a plus
● Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends
● Must be able to maintain visual and auditory awareness of a group
● Must be able to negotiate various types of terrain on the farm and in the
● Must be able to communicate (both written and verbal) clearly and effectively
with staff, participants, and other constituents
● Must be able to lift and carry up to fifty pounds
Salary & Benefits:
● Salary: $15/hour
● Professional development opportunities including trainings in areas of job
● Access to organic produce and flowers grown on the farm
● 50% of health care cost covered by Land’s Sake; partial mobile phone
● Two weeks paid vacation, paid holidays and 40 hours a year paid sick time.
• Paid 30 minute lunch break if the employee works six or more hours that day
● The opportunity to work, learn, inspire, and be inspired alongside dedicated
staff on a beautiful organic farm in a unique community!
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Preference will be given to those candidates who can start ASAP.