The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks creative and engaging program instructors to assist in delivering interpretative programs for Night Journeys (overnight programs). Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and takes place on the museum floor, in classroom settings, in our digital planetarium, and outdoors on our 55-acre site. Teaching is primarily through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning.
Candidates must enjoy working with families and children, possess a keen interest in science, and be committed to ongoing growth and learning in the fields of science and education. Participation is required for three evenings of paid training to become familiar with workplace policies, science and nature content, program materials, and teaching skills for various audiences. Separate paid animal-handling training with Wildlife staff is also required.
Position is hourly, part-time and includes paid training; Minimum of two shifts per month expected during the busy season from January to May on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday nights from 5:15 pm to 8:45 am; Overnight season runs from September through June.
* Minimum 18 years of age and completed one year of college or equivalent experience
* Background in physical science, astronomy, biology, education or related fields preferred
* Demonstrated previous experience in formal, informal, inquiry-based and/or experiential learning desirable
* Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
* Good customer service and interpersonal skills
* Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
* Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
* Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
* Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
* Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, stay stationary for long periods of time, work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
* An ability to move program equipment and supplies up to 40 lbs desirable
* Pass CORI/ SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
* Work as part of a team to provide an exceptional visitor experience and deliver museum-quality, hands-on educational programming on a variety of science and nature topics through formal and informal contacts
* Conduct outdoor programming and navigate trails in all types of weather conditions
* Prepare, tidy, and maintain museum spaces and program materials including technical equipment and other supplies
* Report any issues with programming, guests, staff, wildlife, or exhibits to Senior Overnight Program Instructor and participate in preparation meetings and evening staff debriefs
* Take initiative in problem solving, leading programs, and fostering effective interactions between guests and staff
* Present a positive attitude and engender a sense of fun for guests where appropriate
* Handle animals for use in programs
* Uniform/dress code required
* Other duties as assigned
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to:
Human Resources, Attn: Overnight Program Instructor Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: email@example.com (link sends e-mail) with “Overnight Program Instructor Search” in the subject line.
Review begins immediately; applications accepted until positions are filled.