Mass Audubon offers a work environment that is challenging, yet flexible. Our compensation and benefits program is competitive. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially. Mass Audubon is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Preschool Teacher – Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary Nature Preschool located at Endicott Wildlife Sanctuary in Wenham- Openings for September 2019 and three weeks of summer programming July 2019
Location: Wenham, MA
We are looking for Preschool Teachers who possesses the following dispositions and skills:
• A love of nature and teaching outdoors with children ages 3 to 5 years old
• Ability to plan and implement a developmentally appropriate, inquiry-based, emergent curriculum based on current research and knowledge of child development, while adhering to Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care regulations;
• A deep respect for the competencies of young children
• The ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and families; must have excellent communication skills and a warm, professional relationship with children, families and the education team. This is a co-teaching position
• Experience observing and documenting children’s learning through the use of notes, photos, newsletters, video, etc.
• The ability to incorporate early literacy and numeracy learning into nature-based long and short term projects and investigations
• The ability to create and maintain beautiful and inspiring learning environments. These include the gardens, natural play areas and indoor classrooms.
• Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children in both indoor and outdoor settings
• Develop and implement a curriculum that reflects the needs of the children, developmentally appropriate standards for early childhood education and the mission of Mass Audubon.
• Follow Ipswich River Nature Preschool Child Guidance Plan and all other preschool regulations.
• Help maintain the physical environment by contributing to housekeeping tasks as needed
• Spend significant time outdoors with the students during all seasons, except in high winds, extreme cold, rain or sleet.
• Participate in Parent/Teacher Conferences and pre-determined Admissions and Community events
• Maintain schedule as determined by the Preschool Director and applicant, but ability to begin at 8:00 am required most days. Tuesdays and Thursdays are full days until 3:45.
• EEC Preschool Teacher certification
• Experience and educational background in environmental and science education preferred.
• Familiarity with inquiry-based education and a constructivist, project based approach.
• Familiarity with state early childhood standards.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work cooperatively and independently required.
• Demonstrated ability to promote and respect diversity of ethnic, cultural, linguistic backgrounds and, physical and mental disabilities.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to helping others grow in understanding of and concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
• Ability to lead walks on trails, current first aid/CPR or willing to obtain
• Successful candidates will need to pass a back records check (CORI, SORI and Fingerprinting)
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: Based on experience. This is position is approximately 35 hrs a week including school vacations and three weeks of summer programing and comes with Mass Audubon’s benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Karen First – Preschool Director