|MITS Summer Institute
From Monday, July 09 2012 - 8:00am
To Friday, July 20 2012 - 5:00pm
Explore! Investigate! Invent!
How Science Inspires Engineering
Cost: $300/1 educator; $275 each/team of 2 educators; $250 each/team of 3 or more educators
A Unique Professional Development Opportunity
• Participate in a balance of classroom and outdoor field experiences.
• Learn to use inquiry-based, hands-on methods in your classroom.
• Visit each site for 1-2 days and participate in both content and skill
• Learn about educational resources in your community.
• Experience inquiry-based investigations linked to the Massachusetts
• Earn PDPs/ CEUs or PDPs and 4 graduate credits (for an additional cost).
• Take home a resource kit containing investigations and materials for your
Explore the intersection of scientific inquiry and engineering design as you
investigate how science uncovers how the world around us works and how
engineering strives to use this science to respond to the challenges of human
society. Examine how the beaver builds its dam and become a civil engineer as
you design and build your own scale model of an efficient and environmentally sensitive dam. Gather information
and ideas for your design while visiting a modern hydroelectric power plant, an urban state forest, and the historic
Pawtucket Dam on the Merrimack River. Explore the fascinating fibers made by silk worms and spiders, the
synthetic materials designed to replace them, and current research into materials inspired by these animals. Study
the adaptations of winged animals and how they relate to the invention and on-going development of machines
that fly. Explore the relationship between structure and function by studying feathers, scales and fur. Examine leaf
arrangement to learn how plants maximize their light exposure and see how this applies to creating efficient solar
power for us. Create inquiry-based science and engineering investigations to excite and inspire your students to
explore science, engineering and technology concepts.
For more info and to down load a brochure visit www.MITS.org
Call 617-328-1515 MITS, Inc. 1354 Hancock Street Suite 302 Quincy, MA 02169