This position will design, deliver, and evaluate experiential learning and leadership programs which engage Earthwatch target audiences including corporate employees, community members, high school students, and teachers. These programs will inspire participants to engage with relevant sustainability/environmental issues, leading to behavior change at individual, organizational, or community levels.
The ideal candidate will combine experience in learning design with considerable knowledge of key sustainability issues including climate change, urbanization, air quality, biodiversity, and ecosystem services, as well as the social and economic drivers of these issues and their impacts. They will have an excellent understanding of frameworks for change, e.g. Sustainable Development Goals, circular economy, and facilitated experiential learning. They will be able to communicate complex information in pragmatic and engaging ways that ultimately empower people to take action and deliver change
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• To design and deliver a range of consistent, high quality experiential learning curriculum that pair with Earthwatch’s citizen science based programs.
• Develop all supporting materials needed to implement curriculum (facilitator notes, PowerPoint slides, educational webpages, handouts, etc.)
• Understand target audience needs (ex. corporate employees, historically marginalized community members, high school students underrepresented in STEM careers, or teachers) and incorporate these needs into the learning design. Utilize a lens of equity and accessibility in the design of learning curriculum.
• Work closely with Program Managers to ensure continuous improvement of the learning curriculum in support of each program’s objectives and the Earthwatch mission.
• Train other Earthwatch staff to deliver learning sessions as required by each specific grant.
• Measure impact on program participants
• Work with Development team to develop pitch ideas and demonstrate program impacts to generate funding for the programs.
• Support the development of Earthwatch’s approach on how we effectively communicate critical sustainability issues to a diverse audience.
• To maintain a cohort of Earthwatch staff who are trained in the principles of Earthwatch learning and can be called upon to deliver learning when that capacity is needed.
• Line Management of Impact Manager and other employees as needed
• Travel is required for this position, as they will deliver learning sessions in 1-2 week periods at residential field-based locations and 1 day or evening sessions in urban locations. (In accordance with Earthwatch’s COVID-19 safety protocols.)
• Help to build excellence in Earthwatch’s capacity to develop and deliver high impact, integrated research & learning programs.
• Develop own and team’s capability, bringing in new thinking on innovative approaches to transformational learning and sustainability.
• Contribute to global learning community of practice by supporting the community to learn & grow professionally.
• Support Program Delivery team on other activities as assigned.
• Excellent understanding of environmental and sustainability agendas, including climate change, urbanization, air quality, biodiversity, ecosystem services, Sustainable Development Goals, etc.
• Passion for the natural world and an ability to inspire this in others.
• Excellent emotional intelligence, cultural sensitivity, and inter personal skills.
• 4-7 years experience designing inspiring learning content, presentations, workshops, and outdoor sessions for adult and teen learners.
• 4- 7 years experience facilitating immersive learning in-person and online, and an ability to explain complex information in accessible and inspiring ways for diverse audiences.
• A knowledge of group dynamics, learning styles, and facilitation techniques.
• Strong understanding of and experience working with learner-centered principles, models and practices for organizational and personal behavior change.
• Experience working with communities that are underrepresented in the outdoors, science, and the environmental industries. (Lived experience is a plus.)
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a culturally diverse, multidisciplinary team.
• Willingness to work irregular and long hours in the field – requiring flexibility, organizational skills, collaboration and adaptability.
• Ability to travel roughly 25% per year nationally and internationally, through a combination of 1-2 week overnight trips and day trips which include intermittent nights and weekends. (currently reduced due to COVID-19 pandemic)
• Access to a person vehicle and valid driver’s license
• Spanish or additional language proficiency is a plus
• Commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values.