North Shore Nature Programs is looking for a part-time naturalist-educator who has experience teaching elementary-aged children as well as a working knowledge of New England ecology. A qualified candidate will have at least 1-3 years of formal or non-traditional teaching experience along with a background in environmental education, environmental studies, ecology, or biology (or equivalent work experience). Training will be provided, but candidates with prior knowledge of these subject areas are preferred.
The naturalist-educator will be responsible for:
- Leading environmental education classes in school, after school, and homeschool settings.
- Developing lesson plans and curricula for existing and future programs.
- Acting as a Lead Counselor for all North Shore Nature Programs summer camps.
- Working closely with the Program Director to cultivate new relationships with schools and community groups.
- Occasionally representing North Shore Nature Programs at outreach events.
- Supervising junior staff.
- Aiding in strategic planning and long-range vision for North Shore Nature Programs.
Qualified candidates will have:
- 1-3 years teaching experience in a formal or non-traditional setting.
- A background in life science (B.A. or pursing a degree in ecology, environmental education, environmental studies, biology, botany, etc. or equivalent work experience).
- A strong ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Experience and confidence interacting with elementary-aged children, teachers, and parents.
- A positive attitude along with the ability to match the enthusiasm and energy of students.
- A life-long love of nature and exploring the outdoors.
Hours and Wages:
- This is currently a 20-30 hour per week position. With the right candidate, this will become a full-time position by Spring 2019.
- $13-15/hr (based on previous experience/education)
- No benefits are available at this time.